Saturday, June 29, 2013

Bringing It Back From The Dead

It's not all "winner winner chicken dinner" in the art studio. Sometimes you lose sight of your vision, other times you never had one in the first place, and sometimes... well, you just plain old f*#@ it up. You can re-prime a piece and call it a day; or if you're lucky, you can re-work a piece and bring it back from the dead.

I spent days labouring over the tedious detail of the layered background on this painting; only to discover that I hated it! It was just too contrived and static and lacked any heart. I was in no way motivated to even continue working on it.

 

 
 
The first thing I did was too cover the entire background in white, using a palette knife. Scary!
 
 
I have continued working this painting with paint, pencil, grease pencil and carbon paper. So far, I'm much happier with the energy of this version. I'm not quite finished yet, but I'm excited to continue scribbling, splattering, scratching, sanding and rubbing my way to the finish line. For me, that makes this painting a winner.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment